Summer in London this year must have been the best we've had for the longest time. So much so that I have not been checking the weather forecast. I just expect the next day to be warm and sunny and continue being like this the day after. I'm getting used to wearing skirts, shorts and no jackets or tights. What a bliss.
With this weather, comes simple and tasty cool food that does not make you sweat. One that is easy to prepare as well. This recipe is so pretty yet easy to make, it is perfect for a quick summer dinner after work. Even though it is weekday after work in London, having this salad on the balcony just makes it feel like holiday by the beach. Enjoy!
Crab salad served on lettuce gem leaves. This is a good way to serve the salad at a party. It's easy to pop into the mouth.
Crab, Apple and Avocado Salad Stack
- 120g crab meat (can)
- 1 red chillies (diced)
- 1 granny smith apple (cubed)
- 120g baby plum tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 nectarine (deseeded & cubed)
- 1 large lime
- 1 avocado (cubed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce gems
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- a few drops of balsamic to taste (on tomato)
1. Remove crab meat from can and drain. Place into a bowl then add the diced chillies and apple cubes.
2. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix the crab well with some sliced mint leaves.
3. On a different bowl, place the quartered plum tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, 2 drops of balsamic vinegar and a little extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
4. To assemble, place a food ring on a serving plate.
5. Carefully place the avocado in the ring. Top it up with the cubed nectarines followed by the tomatoes.
6. Gently press downwards with the back of spoon to compress the stack of avocado, nectarines and tomatoes.
7. Top up with a generous amount of the prepared crab and decorate with mint leaves.