It's Pancake Day on Tuesday! Will you be making an overflowing amount of pancakes? Well, I think I might, and most likely it will be my favourite fluffy American pancake flooded with maple syrup and a crispy strip of bacon on top. Just the sound of it makes me salivate.
But instead of sharing a recipe of the very much loved classic pancake, I thought it will be nice to make some savoury pancake for a change. So I have chosen Korean Kimchi Pancake with an addition of bacon. It is just as easy to make as normal pancakes. Here's how:
Korean Kimchi Pancake (Kimchijeon)
adapted from Maangchi
- 200g chopped kimchi
- 100g bacon medallion (cut into small pieces) *optional
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 65g plain flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 125ml water
- 1 egg
- salt and sugar to taste
- vegetable oil
1. Put the flour, water and egg into a bowl and mix well.
2. Then add in kimchi, chopped bacon and onions into the flour mixture.
3. Stir until well combined.
4. Heat a pan with 2 tbs of vegetable oil until hot.
5. Pour mixture into pan and press the mixture flat onto the pan with the back of a spoon.
6. Let it cook for about 1-2 minutes, flip and let cook until done.
7. Remove from pan on to the chopping board and cut into bite size pieces.
8. Serve with some chopped spring onions as garnish.
- To make a vegetarian version, just omit the bacon.