Anything with pork and apple really tickles my fancy. So when I saw this recipe last year, I made it and loved it. M decided that was the perfect brunch from the first bite. I made it again recently but with my twist and we still love it. In Malaysia, Ramly Burger is one of the most famous street burger, especially the 'burger special'. It is thin beef patty and cheese wrapped in a layer of egg, then sandwiched between the well sauced toasted burger buns. This burger egg parcel keeps the meaty juice and melted cheese contained, only to dribble out when you take the first bite. I borrowed this idea for my burger, only to contain the melted cheese since my gluttonous burger patty was very thick.
PORK AND APPLE BURGER RECIPE
adapted from BBC Good Food
makes about 6
- 6 burger buns
- 6 medium eggs
- 6 slices of cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato ketchup
- 6 tomato, sliced
- Lettuce / salad leaves
- 800g minced pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and finely grated
- 1 egg
- handful of sage (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 red onions, sliced
1. Cook the sliced onions with a knob of butter over gentle heat for about 30 -40 minutes. Stir occasionally but not too often as the onions will not caramelise if stirred too much.
2. While waiting for the onions to caramelise, mix all burger patty ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
3. When onions are caramelised, set aside.
4. Divide the minced mixture into six burger patties and fry over medium heat for about 7 minutes each side until cooked in the middle. Let the patty sit for one minute.
5. Beat an eggs in a bowl. Heat a clean pan with butter and beaten egg onto the greased pan. Spread the egg on pan and let cook partially.
6. Add 2 drops of Worcestershire sauce and place a slice of cheese in the middle of the egg and let it melt.
7. Flip the four sides in and make sure the cheese is nicely wrapped like a parcel. Repeat steps for the other five eggs and cheese.
8. Toast the buns and spread some butter on it.
1. Smear ½ a tsp of Dijon mustard and a tsp of mayonnaise on half a toasted and buttered bun.
2. Place the cheese parcel on top, followed by a tsp of ketchup and burger patty.
3. Top with caramelised onions, a slice of tomato and the other half toasted bun.
4. Serve with green salad on the side or chunky chips.
5. Repeat the steps for the other five burgers.