NYONYA CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE
adapted from Rasa Malaysia
- 1 kg chicken leg (chopped into pieces)
- 200g potatoes (peeled & cut into wedges)
- 200ml thick coconut milk
- 15 dried curry leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 20 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 red chilli (remove seeds)
- 12 dried chilli (soaked & remove seeds)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 20g shrimp paste (toasted)
- 1 lemongrass (white part only)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pound or blend the spice paste ingredients into a fine paste.
- Heat some oil in the wok and saute cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and curry leaves on low heat. Add in spice paste and stir fry until fragrant.
- Toss in the chicken, mix it around and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and cover wok with lid and let it braise until chicken is cooked.
- Now add the potatoes, coconut milk, salt and sugar.
- Mix well and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Potatoes are added mid way so they do not break and become mash instead.